Monday, June 24, 2013

Is It Chicken or not?

There have been many commercials on TV lately about KFC offering boneless chicken parts.  As a long-time KFC fan that leaves me with a somewhat empty feeling... Sigh. 

Don't get me wrong I know how unhealthy their original recipe chicken.  I know it's loaded with fat and salt.  But is it darned good!  I don't have it often because of the the amount of fat grams it contains.  Another sigh.

It seems that KFC is looking to go away from chicken-on-the-bone entirely. 

My problem with the whole thing is that when I think of boneless chicken I think of McD's nuggets or the bags of frozen breaded frozen chicken chunks you can buy in the freezer section of your grocery store.

As far as McD's nuggets go here's what they are made of:

Half of the ingredients in McNuggets consist of corn derivatives, sugars, leavening agents and completely synthetic ingredients, including dimethylpolysiloxane (an anti-foaming agent made from silicone) and tertiary butylhydroquinone (or TBHQ, a deadly chemical preservative).
So we've got about half meat and half... something else.

I gotta say I petrified that my KFC chicken parts will end up the same way.  The fact is once you take the chicken off the bone I think it becomes much easier to add some stuff to the chicken to make it less... well like chicken.   I'm not saying KFC is going to do that, but getting the chicken part without the bone leaves more of a chance for chicken hanky-panky if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment